Civil engineering encompasses design, construction and maintenance. Civil engineers focus on both natural and man made environments, such as roads, bridges, buildings and dams. Civil engineering is actually the oldest discipline in the engineering field. Civil engineers can specialize in a wide range of sub-disciplines and apply the principles of that sub-discipline to all aspects of civil engineering. These sub-disciplines include construction engineering, coastal engineering, materials engineering, water resources engineering, municipal or urban engineering, transportation engineering, structural engineering, geotechnical engineering, environmental engineering, and surveying. Civil engineers work on many public structures that affect our everyday lives, such as the building of water systems and mass transit infrastructures.
For additional information on this discipline of engineering, visit the links provided below.
- Bounding Uncertainty in Civil Engineering: Read the Bounding Uncertainty in Civil Engineering in full screen on line.
- Oxford Civil Engineering: University of Oxford civil engineering books.
- Books to Read: The American Society of Civil Engineers suggested civil engineering books.
- Civil & Structural Engineering: Over 10 pages of books covering civil and structural engineering.
- Environmental Engineering: A list of downloadable environmental engineering books.
Handbooks & Manuals
- Transportation Engineering: McGraw-Hill’s full 33 pages on transportation engineering.
- Building Design and Construction Handbook: Handbook of principles and applications of building design and construction.
- Structural Engineering Handbook: A review of the structural engineering handbook.
- Bridge Manual: Principles and specifications of building bridges.
- Engineering Standards Manual: View the civil engineering standards in full in chapter 3 of Engineering Standards Manual.
- National Engineering Handbook: The handbook covers engineering on a national scale, but these sections 633, 636 and 637 are dedicated to civil engineering specialties.
- Engineering Resource Manual: A collection of methods used in East African civil engineering. Provides a comparison of East African engineered to the developed world.
Databases & Directories
- Civil Engineering Database: A comprehensive database of references on all sub disciplines of civil engineering.
- Civil & Environmental Engineering: Database of articles, journals and research guides.
- Regional Directory: A directory of licensed civil engineers by state.
- Geotechnical Engineering: Database of general geotechnical engineering publications.
Journals & Magazines
- International Journal of Civil Engineering: Readers can request the latest editorial session by e-mail.
- The Open Civil Engineering Journal: An open access online civil engineering journal of reviews, research and articles. A membership is required to view journal entries.
- The Journal of Infrastructure Systems: Article published in this journal is focused on sustaining civil infrastructure.
- Canadian Journal of Civil Engineering: The Canadian Science publishing company publishes this civil engineering journal.
- Concrete Canoe Magazine: A magazine that uses development of a concrete canoe competition to reach structural engineering students.
- Roads and Bridges: The Roads & Bridges magazine is for transportation, construction and structural engineering.
- Civil Engineering Innovation: Issues of the journal of Civil Engineering Innovation.
- Journal of Structural Engineering: Current 2010 volume available for download.
Codes & Standards
- Geotechnical Standards: A list of all standards related to geotechnical engineering.
- Structural Standards: Codes and standards by the U.S. General Services Administration for structural engineering.
- Building Codes: A comprehensive list of standards and specification of building codes.
- Engineering Code of Ethics: A lit of principles and canons.
- Ethical Principles: Ethical principles for professional engineers provided the Engineering Council and Royal Academy of Engineering.
- Structural Engineering Codes: A review of structural codes and standards in America.
- American Society of Civil Engineers: The American Society of Civil Engineers seeks to advance civil engineering.
- American Engineering Association: A non-profit organization committed to strengthening the engineering profession in the United States.
- National Society of Professional Engineers: The National Society of Professional Engineers is dedicated to the concerns of licensed engineers.
- Structural Engineers Association: International committee of structural engineers.
- National Council of Structural Engineers Associations: This organization seeks to improve the standards of the structural engineering profession.
- IEEE: This association is the worlds leading group of professionals working to advance technology for humanity.
- American Society for Engineering Education: This non-profit organization seeks to strengthen the engineering fields through education and research.
- Royal Academy of Engineering: Britain’s academy for engineering is committed to challenging current and future engineers to achieve excellence.
- Bridge Engineering Association: The Bridge Engineering Association is dedicated to advancing technology in bridge engineering.