Architecture is the combination of art and science to construct buildings and structures. Architecture also incorporates engineering as a way to manipulate materials by using science and technology. Styles of architecture are influenced by region, time period, self-expression and technique. According to Marcus Vitruvius Pollio architects should be bound by three principles: durability, utility and beauty. For those interested in architecture and engineering, the following links may be useful.
- Architecture and Building: A guide to building, constructing, designing and planning, all the areas of architecture.
- Research Guide: A comprehensive architecture research guide.
- Architectural Terms: A dictionary with illustrations describing historic buildings.
- Architectural Glossary: Basic and complex definitions of architecture terms.
- Building Types: A guide to building types with images.
- Architecture: A paper exploring architecture regulations.
- Architecture Styles: Design styles of American architecture form colonial styles to post modern,
- American Architecture: Here you can view images of American architecture styles.
- Architecture & Design: The Museum of Modern Art’s collection dedicated to architecture and design.
- Buildings: A collection of images of world architecture.
- Design Guide: A collection of designs and notes of early architectural landscape design.
- Cities and Buildings Database: A collection of images of buildings throughout time.
- Principles of Universal Design: Seven guidelines of principles of universal design.
- Concepts: Provides guidelines for following principles of universal design.
- Universal Design of Instruction: Provides examples and methods of universal design.
- Process, Principles, and Applications: Explains the process, principles and applications of universal design.
- Accessibility: An architectural record on the mandate of accessibility and universal design.
- Universal Design: Defines universal design.
- Universal Design in Architecture: The Center for an Accessible Society describes the approach of universal design.
- Building an Accessible Home: Tips on building an accessible home.
- Architecture and Universal Design: Explains the principles of universal design in architecture.
- CAD in Architecture: A general guide to using architecture based CAD systems.
- 3D Studio Max: A 15-chapter guide to getting started with 3D Studio Max.
- ArchiCAD 14: An overview of the building information modeling program.
- AutoCAD Tutorial: A tutorial for AutoCAD 14.
- NX5 Tutorial: A tutorial for this advanced integrated CAD software.
- Allplan Architecture: Describes the integrated design system and provides a quick start guide.
- Speedikon: Highlights on the building information modeling application.
- DDS-CAD Construction: A data design system for construction and architecture.
Planning and Development
- Sustainable Architecture: A guide to sustainable architecture.
- Town Planning: This site is dedicated to the field of town planning. A planning that requires understanding of the future needs of the area being built.
- Architecture Development Method: Detailed information on the basics of the architecture development method.
- American Architectural Foundation: The American Architectural Foundations uses a union of programs, grants and educational resources to promote the benefits of architecture.
- The American Association of Architectural Students: An organization of support for students in the educational system and the profession.
- National Organization of Minority Architects: This organization is dedicated to minimizing racism in the architecture profession.
- American Institute of Architect: A foundation of support, education and information for licensed architects.
- Architectural Research Centers Consortium, Inc.: The international organization Architectural Research Center is dedicated to research and education in architecture and related fields.
- Society of Architectural Historians: This society is centered on studying and preserving the environment of building.
- American Society of Landscape Architects: This professional association is focused on educating and improving the design of cultural and natural environment.